On the Big Screen – Wonder Woman is a warrior princess turned superhero who lassoes evil-doers, flashes a handy sword, and generally makes us all wish we had our own nifty golden bracelets. Closer to home, each of us knows and can celebrate real wonder women – those wonderful Delta Gamma alumnae worthy of nomination for our Fraternity Individual Alumnae Awards. These stellar sisters awe us every day as they “Do Good” for the Fraternity, with the Foundation, in their communities and as professionals.
While Wonder Woman feels destined to save the world, our alumnae are destined to make contributions by Doing Good in the name of Delta Gamma! You know her - she stands up proudly and says, “I Am a Sorority Woman.” She heads out for “Do Good” Week each September and then does it again 51 more weeks a year. She fosters our incredible Culture of Care. She exemplifies the Founders’ commitment to their little club of mutual helpfulness through her tireless philanthropic service, her ready response as a collegiate adviser, her strong leadership as a professional role model and her quiet commitment to improving the world around her in big ways and small.
Take some time to think about the real wonder woman in your life and then please consider nominating her for one of the Fraternity’s Individual Alumnae Awards. In addition to the descriptions below, you can find more specific criteria for each IAA on the News & Resources page on the Delta Gamma website. All IAA applications are located in e-Ops+, and complete nomination packets for all awards must be submitted by October 15.
The Cable Award – The Cable Award recognizes alumnae who, through years of serving Delta Gamma, have evidenced unusual loyalty and devotion far beyond normal alumnae participation. You can find Cable Award instructions here.
The Loyalty Award – The Loyalty Award recognizes alumnae who have continued to serve the Fraternity for at least 10 years following recognition with the Fraternity’s Cable Award. She is a woman who exhibits extraordinary commitment and distinctive dedication to Delta Gamma. You can find Loyalty Award instructions here.
The Anchor Award – The Anchor Award recognizes alumnae who have received the Cable Award and whose Fraternity service and achievements extend beyond the local level with a demonstrable, unique and lasting impact on every member of the Fraternity. Anchor Award winners are a mainstay, providing Delta Gamma a lifetime of reliable support from which all members benefit. You can find Anchor Award instructions here.
The Oxford Award – The Oxford Award recognizes alumnae who exemplify the Delta Gamma philosophy of community service through volunteer and philanthropic activities. Recipients bring a sense of pride to their alumnae groups through outstanding community efforts and involvement. You can find Oxford Award instructions here.
The Shield Award - The Shield Award recognizes alumnae who have achieved unique and noteworthy distinctions through leadership and verifiable accomplishments in their chosen fields of professional expertise. You can find Shield Award instructions here.
The Order of the Delta Gamma Rose - The Order of the Delta Gamma Rose is the highest award presented by the Fraternity, honoring alumnae who have made distinguished contributions to their nation and/or the world. Recipients are renowned in their chosen fields, and MUST have received (inter)national recognition because of their individual efforts and talents. You can find Rose Award instructions here.
Helpful Dos and Don’ts:
- Do review the criteria and instructions for each award well in advance of preparing the application. This will give you an opportunity to gather all the information, letters of support and documents that you will need to complete the application.
- Do consider ALL she has accomplished. She has probably contributed even more than the efforts that inspired you to nominate her in the first place. Take a minute to think about it, discuss it with others who know and work with her, write down a few thoughts, then GO FOR IT!
- Do ask! Do you have questions about some of the awards or any part of the process? Just ask your Regional Alumnae Specialist (RAS), Regional Collegiate Specialist (RCS) or contact the Fraternity Director: Awards at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do brag! Now is the time to tell us all of the wonderful things that make you so proud to call her “sister.” Has she won other awards or recognition? Did she single-handedly pull it off? Has she been there day in and day out, with huge impact and an even bigger smile? Tell us! Has she inspired or helped the collegians? Tell us! Is she a resolute, dependable and yet cheerful crew leader? Tell us!
- Don’t wait until the last minute! As we all know, computers and websites are fickle things. Just when you need them to work, they don’t. Make sure you plan ahead!
Consider nominating an alumna you know for “Doing Good” in a wonderful way.
Rachel McDougal Bishop, Gamma Epsilon-Kent State