Delta Gamma was founded by Anna Boyd Ellington, Eva Webb Dodd and Mary Comfort Leonard on December 25, 1873, in Oxford, Mississippi, at The Lewis School for Girls in Oxford, Mississippi. Founders Day is celebrated each year on or around March 15.
Today Delta Gamma has more than 250,000 initiated members, with 150 collegiate chapters and more than 200 alumnae groups across the United States and Canada.
Our symbol is the anchor, the age-old symbol for hope. Our flower is the cream-colored rose. Our colors are bronze, pink and blue, the meanings of which are known only to members.
As articulated in Article II of our Constitution, the objects of this fraternity shall be to foster high ideals of friendship among women, to promote their educational and cultural interests, to create a true sense of social responsibility and develop in them the best qualities of character.
From the very beginning, DG has stood for “Do Good.” Our philanthropy, Service for Sight, supports the five schools founded by Delta Gammas for the visually impaired and other North American organizations that promote sight preservation and conservation. This philanthropy has been at the heart of the Delta Gamma mission since 1936 when a member who was blind, Ruth Billow, Eta-Akron, petitioned to adopt “Aid to the Blind” as our official philanthropy.LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR FOUNDATION